Monday, December 24, 2012

#206 greetings

As this Christmas season comes to a close, I wonder if Christmas cards are becoming another lost art.  I was struck by the limited selection to purchase at Hallmark this year; instead of shelves with boxes to fit every personality style, I had a hard time finding one that seemed like "me".  Apparently others had a similar struggle and gave up, or maybe they did not even try.  

I received fewer cards than ever this year, and of those I did about 75% of them were photo greeting cards.  It strikes me as a bit ironic that in this era where more photos are shared than ever -- via  blogs, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, Shutterfly, Snapfish and the like -- more people are opting to share just photos for their holiday greeting.  

I contrast this with my Millennial admissions staff, who was adamant about hand-signing and hand-addressing nearly 800 cards to their prospective students.  I would have guessed that they would have been the first to opt for an electronic message, but apparently they recognize the rarity of the handwritten greeting and wanted to make an impression on those we are trying to court.

Whether you sent your greetings via Tweet, photo card, traditional Hallmark-esque card, Facebook or in person, I hope that you take some time before the season ends to wish those who are important to you all the best in the coming new year.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment