Friday, December 21, 2012

#203 plowed in

The much-anticipated blizzard did in fact come, and dumped about a foot of white stuff in my yard. I dutifully was out in the morning and shoveled my driveway and sidewalks.  

Just as I was admiring my handiwork, the snow plow came by and blocked my egress with another large, back-breaking pile.  Grr!  And then the thought occurred to me that he was just doing his job.  His job negatively impacted my "job".  

I wonder if there are similar situations that occur in my actual workplace.  Are there things that I do that have an adverse effect on other people or offices?  The impact may not be as immediate or visible as the plow blocking in my driveway, but they may be there nonetheless.

Take a moment to consider your processes and timing.  Ask questions and seek feedback before making procedural or policy changes.  Think about who is the recipient of your work and who is the next step in the implementation.  Don't unintentionally plow in your colleagues, even if you do so in the process of just doing your job.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment