Friday, December 14, 2012

#196 idea files

I have two spiral notebooks -- one full and one in progress -- that I use to collect exercises to use in training workshops that I conduct.  When I need a certain participatory activity on a topic and I am stumped, I can refer back to these notebooks and see if something triggers my mind.

The notebooks are full of ideas from a random collection of sources: workshops I have attended, magazine clippings, items from newsletters, emails I have sent to colleagues in response to their questions about training techniques to use for X scenario, emails from friends helping me in reverse, book reviews, copies of letters from my sisters describing what they have done, and an assortment of other random inputs.  The notebooks have been invaluable in many situations.

I encourage you to start a notebook/file folder/electronic document that provides a mechanism for on-going capture of ideas in an area that is relevant to you.  Maybe it is sales promotions, orientation activities, interview questions, recognition techniques, baby shower activities, presents/themes for children's birthday parties, samples of great direct mail, construction layouts or decorating tips.  Having your own "trigger file" at the ready can be just what you need to get past that block and onto the productive, creative path.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment