Friday, July 12, 2013

#406 space

Think about the things that you do daily.  It seems that my list grows longer every day.  Shower, get dressed, brush teeth twice, feed dogs twice, write a postcard to my Mom, publish a blog entry, read the newspaper, physical therapy, sleep, eat.  I think of all the things I should do daily: exercise, floss, read books and journals, reflection, walk the dogs, etc.

Lately I feel a need to be more selective about what I commit to do on a daily basis.  There are only 24 hours/day and so I have less opportunities to schedule and trade off obligations as I do in a more expansive time frame.  Time is like a paycheck: if you make too many on-going commitments, you don't have enough disposable income (time) left to do all you want to do.  

I wonder what trade offs I made to fit writing this blog into my routine (my dogs could tell you!)  What did I forgo when I needed to do physical therapy exercises again?  What have people done without to make time for Tweets and Facebook?  

Give extra pause when you make commitments that demand your daily attention.  Can you make it your goal to leave some unstructured time each day? Too hectic of a routine is like too many beautiful pictures all hanging on the same gallery wall.  At some point, you don't appreciate any of them.  Try to create enough space in your existence to allow you time to savor something every day.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment