Friday, August 2, 2013

#427 colors

Crayola commemorated its 110th anniversary by holding a contest to re-name the crayon colors of its classic 8-pack of crayons. Instead of yellow, purple, orange, blue, brown, red, black and green, for a limited time only you can buy a set contains the same colors but with the names of Sunny Side Up; Peace, Love & Purple, Freshly Squeezed, Beyoutiful Blue, Freckle, Ladybug, Night Owl and Jalepeno.  

I did not participate in their gimmick, but I have done a similar thing before with an icebreaker before where I ask participants to rename a color.  The difference: it's not just a random name as they did above, but the task is to attach a name to the color that evokes special memories.  Examples:  Aqua could become Favorite Shoes in honor of the pair of the comfy aqua shoes I own.  Light pink would be renamed Puppy Blanket as it reminds me of the wrap I brought my pups home in.  Rover could be the name of a mint green in honor of that color Impala I drove in college.  

Having people think about the unintentional connection they have made between colors and things evokes many memories and elicits great stories about what is behind the object. Think about what you would name your own personal set of crayons and then share some of your colorful stories with others.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Source:  Parade Magazine, June 30, 2013 p. 4

No comments:

Post a Comment