Sunday, August 25, 2013

#450 gold crown service

Since I ranted about poor service yesterday, today I will give equal time to the good service I received this week.  I went into our Hallmark store to get a card for my niece who is starting Kindergarten.  Typically, Hallmark has cards for everything, and I was confident that I would find the perfect message wishing her well as she embarked on this great new adventure.  I was wrong.

I asked the clerk for help and she scoured the store in an attempt to meet my need.  She came up with a "starting school" card that I planned to purchase, but she could tell that I was not thrilled with it.  "Of course we want you to buy your cards here," she said in almost a whisper, "But I was at Target the other day and they have a whole display of the Kindergarten cards like what you are looking for."

I thought the only one to refer people to their competitors was Santa in the Miracle on 34th Street.  Especially when she had a satisfactory substitute, it was generous to try and make me happy instead of just satisfied.

It turns out that I did not have time to go to Target that day, so I purchased her original selection.  But instead of feeling regret about its generic message, I was glad to give this woman my business.

What is your goal when dealing with customers?  Are your staff members just completing transactions or are they aiming to delight and serve -- even if it means sending people elsewhere?  If you think about the long term relationship instead of the momentary sale, the gold crown service at Hallmark will be the true winner.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment