Monday, August 26, 2013

#451 career dreams

Today is the first day of school for our students and, undoubtedly, for many others across the land.  While college students may be dreading the return to studying and exams, the most eager students out there are those who are just beginning Kindergarten.  

There was a supplement in our newspaper featuring profiles of the "future graduating class of 2026", and each child responded to the prompt: "When I grow up, I wanna be a..."  (Given the informality of the question, it is no surprise that there were no English teachers in the group!)

Some students today have ambitious goals with answers ranging from a paleontologist, an app maker and the President, a dancer and a doctor, to a dentist.  Others have more modest career goals:  a deer hunter, a lifeguard, a dish washer at the restaurant and a cement truck driver.  They also have fantasy professions in mind: tooth fairy and Minnie Mouse, a mermaid, and a Ninja.  

I think if you would have asked me when I was five, I think I would have answered "a teacher."  Think about your answer to the question, "When I grow up, I want to be a..."  No matter where you are in life, it's never too late to take a step in that direction.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots

leadershipdots@gmail.com

Source:  Telegraph Herald insert, August 17, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment