Thursday, April 3, 2014

#671 alterations

At the moment, I have three different airline trips booked via two different airlines.  I also have about four notices each that my schedule has been changed or my connections are no longer valid.  For one, the flight times changed by four hours.  Another changed 15 minutes.  One of my trips involves coordinating with two other people and between the three of us I have more emails than I can manage.  Right now, I am really not sure who is arriving when or whether we depart at 12 or 2pm.

All plans are just one domino in a long chain.  When the flight time changes, the car rental needs to change.  Pick up times are different.  Departure times dictate what attractions can be seen that day.  Yet the airlines continually make cavalier alterations to the best laid plans with barely an email notification of such changes.

I am all in favor of flexibility and maximizing performance.  But when does being nimble become just plain annoying?  Couldn't the planning have been done before the flights were published?  Or left alone after the first change was made?  

When you make a change, even one that makes sense in isolation, think twice about the other changes that it will trigger.  I believe there are times when well enough should be left alone.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment