Saturday, April 19, 2014

#687 free

I was shopping yesterday, and as I made my purchase the sales clerk told me that I could pick a plastic egg out of the basket to win a prize.  The one I chose gave me a free candy bar and bottle of water.  The approximate retail value of these items is $2, but it was fun to feel as if I "won" something.  

The pick-an-egg promotion did nothing to alter my buying pattern, but it was a nice piece of serendipity at the check-out counter.

People like surprises.  People like to feel like winners.  People like to get something for free, even if it has minimal value.  

How can you capitalize on these traits?  Clinique is masterful with its "Bonus Days".  Other companies add free trial sizes attached to regular size products.  Sometimes the car wash upgrades to add free lemon scent with a wash.  Restaurants serve "free" bread baskets.  

Don't wait to make your customers go on an egg hunt to add an extra treat in their basket.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment