Wednesday, April 16, 2014

#684 ideal

I find myself in the unenviable position of needing a new administrative assistant.  The person that I hired six years ago, when I was just weeks into my new job, has tendered her resignation.  And so the search begins for someone who knows my nuances and preferences and has the ability to address both with a smile on her face.

As I did before beginning any search, I sat down and wrote out a list of characteristics that I would like the ideal candidate to possess.  Such an activity keeps me focused on what is important (not what can be dazzling in an interview) and helps me know how to write the job description, advertisement and interview questions.  I have done an "attribute list" for almost every search I have conducted and it always serves me well.

It also helps me identify where my desires and reality may not be in sync.  For this job, I am looking for someone with a high degree of accuracy (to do spreadsheets and lots of detail work).  Yet, I also wish for (need) a great amount of flexibility as this person services all the departments in our division and is often called in to be a pinch hitter for an immediate need.  Often accuracy/focus and flexibility can be in conflict -- it's hard to keep your nose to the grindstone and happily leave that project when an unplanned project arises.

Doing an attribute list also allows the key skills to surface.  For this job, the person must be experienced with Excel.  Thus, a good resume with an "I am a quick learner on new software" will likely not be interviewed.  To me, it's like a carpenter candidate saying "I can easily learn to use the hammer."

The next time you find yourself with an opening, take an extra few minutes to write up a list of what the ideal candidate will possess.  I guarantee you'll be a more likely to hire the right person than if you rely only on a undirected friendly chat.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment