Saturday, June 7, 2014

#736 easy living

When I lived in West Virginia, my house had a porch swing.  I think a large portion of why I purchased that particular home was because of that swing; that it remained with the house became a condition of my purchase.

I spent many hours on the swing; somehow all my cares seemed to vanish with the peaceful swaying of the seat.  You couldn't be stressed out as you swung back and forth at the leisurely pace, and it was physically impossible to traverse at any other speed.

It seems that the Tallahassee, Florida is trying to add a similar element of charm and relaxation to their community.  The city is attempting to make the porch swing a "signature symbol" as they place them in parks, at the lake, downtown and gardens.  The city is encouraging residents to add them to homes, high schools and other public places.

You don't need a community decree to add a swing to your yard or neighborhood.  Far cheaper than therapy, and more fun too, think about bringing a relaxing addition into your life.  Elements of community, conversation and casual enjoyment all await at the end of a few chains.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Source:  (Porch) Swing City by Byron Dobson, Tallahassee Democrat, 5/26/14, p. 1A

No comments:

Post a Comment