Thursday, June 19, 2014

#748 another dimension

In addition to the content that was shared at the TEDx conference, I was fascinated by the logistics of the event.  

The national TED sponsors are very specific about the requirements that must occur for a program to carry the TEDx name.  TEDx events have a mentor from ted.com, rely on volunteers to run it and specify details such as the attendance limits, signage, stage set up and format.

It was interesting to note that the speakers all had their speeches memorized (another requirement).  Apparently people had been working on their talks for a year (!) and were able to deliver them without notes.  TED's advice:  start first with the people who move you and then tie them in with a theme.  I think their wisdom applies to almost any event you are assembling!

The speakers came on stage and started -- no thank yous, welcomes, introductory comments -- within the first two lines they were into content.  Often the initial words were a question: "Have you ever felt..." and then they had you drawn in.  With very few visual aids, no podium and a bare stage, the words and ideas were the focus and source of power.  

I think everyone in the audience applauded the courage of the speakers to share oftentimes very personal stories and to put themselves out there in a vulnerable position.  The time they dedicated to their craft and their bravery in agreeing to speak was inspirational.  

I took as much away from the logistics as I did from the content.  How can I use TED as a model to use my voice and tell my story more boldly?  How can I volunteer to make something happen that benefits the social culture of my community in entrepreneurial ways?  What opportunity do I have to be publicly brave?  How can I foster connections between very different types of people to create something special?  

Even if you weren't in the audience, TED can spread ideas in your thinking too.


-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com

@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment