Saturday, June 28, 2014

#757 pay a premium

Unfortunately, my car requires premium gas.  It was something I never thought to ask when I bought it, and by the time I found out I was already in love with it.  "How much can it matter?", I asked.  The answer is: "A LOT!"

What I did not realize about the premium gas market is the wide variance in price between station to station.  Whereas all the regular unleaded prices are virtually identical between national brands, regional chains and even independent dealers, the price of premium has no such consistency.  Why?  My theory is because the prices for regular are posted.

Each station has the basic price on giant electronic signs, but often the only way to know the premium price is to pull up to the pump.  Thus the owner takes advantage of the premium user and figures they don't compare.

My example:
Where just the regular price is posted:  $3.69/gal for unleaded; $4.23/gal for premium

Where all the prices are posted:  $3.69/gal for unleaded; $3.94 for premium -- 29 cents a gallon cheaper!

How does your organization operate?  Are you like Dealer 1 who keeps information hidden and uses the lack of transparency to your advantage?  Or are you more like Dealer 2 that posts the facts for all to see and decide?

There is an honorable way to conduct business -- and then there is the other way.  Don't make your clients pay a premium for your lack of transparency.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment