Tuesday, June 17, 2014

#746 fold and spindle

A mentor once said that the role of the leader is to "fold, spindle and mutilate"* rules.  In contrast to keeping policies and rules in rigid, unaltered form, the lesson was that the leader was paid to make exceptions.  If that is the case, I feel like I am really doing my job this month!  In the past few days I have been asked to make exceptions to our financial aid awards, to our tuition remission eligibility requirements, to our vacation policy, and to our dress code.  

Most of the requests I receive have valid and logical reasons for the alteration and would result in an easy answer if I considered them on their own merit.  But before I grant any change, I try to think of how this decision fits into the greater scheme of things and how it would look if I considered it across the area rather than in a linear fashion.  I also try to understand the unspoken element that is driving the request.

An example: We have registration days this week and the counselors do a lot of running around so want to wear shorts (not allowed in our policy).  The unspoken rationale is that our registration days are very draining and if wearing shorts can add a bit of spunk and energy, then it's worth it.  Fold and spindle that policy for these days and put on those shorts!  

As you make requests or are in the position to decide on them, always listen for the unspoken driver that warrants the exception.  It helps to know what you are really addressing when you chose to temporarily mutilate those rules.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


*This is a reference to the old keypunch cards which had to be kept in pristine condition in order to be processed by the giant reader; often they were imprinted with "do not fold, spindle or mutilate." The closest contemporary reference would be ballots with hanging "chads" often left when election votes are punched.

No comments:

Post a Comment