Monday, July 2, 2012

#31 don't make me do it

Last summer I spent many happy hours reading an 1,166 page book (Master of the Senate by Robert Caro).  I continuously have a book or two that I am reading -- all by choice. 

As part of the preparation for a workshop I am attending next week, I am required to read three books.  You would think that I would dive right into them, but I have been staring at them for several weeks.  I don't want to read them because I am required to read them.  Somehow the thrill is gone.

I think the word "mandatory" causes similar bristles in others.  If we have required sexual harassment or diversity training, some people don't want to be there just because they have to be there.  If we make orientation "mandatory", it gives the impression that it is punitive instead of something people wouldn't want to miss.  Required reading has the same aura -- if it is such a great book, shouldn't people want to read it instead of being forced to do so. 

I required my staff to read a book for our annual retreat, and now I wish I had not done so.  I am sure at least some of them felt the same way and wanted to rebel at what was being imposed upon them.  I should have shared some concepts and raved about how great it was in order to encourage them to want to read it.

How much better it would be if we touted merits instead of requirements.  I am reminded of a quote by Antoine de St. Exupery:  If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders.  Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”

--- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment