Saturday, July 7, 2012

#36 one mile at a time

My car odometer just logged 100,000 miles.  When my first car hit this milestone, I made my sister accompany me to the mall parking lot where we inched our way along so we could see it at 99,999.9 and take pictures (with film, of course) of that and 100,000.0.  One-tenth of a mile seems like a very long way when you are trying to achieve it in a parking lot and the whole experience left an impression on both of us.

So when I saw her earlier this week, I let her know that I did it again.  "A hundred thousand miles?!  Where have you gone?" she exclaimed.

Everywhere and nowhere.  It is seven years of driving to work; running to Target; going out to lunch and doing what I term as "stuff-of-life".  There have been trips to visit family or to go on the occasional getaway; house hunting and moving to a new city (cities), but I am sure no trip has ever been near a thousand miles.  

The 100,000 milestone is another example of how the little things add up.  With enough time and enough persistence you will make an impact -- even if you do it one-tenth of a mile at a time.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment