Monday, July 16, 2012

#45 listen to that voice

I recently had a candidate ponder a job offer that I made.  He was very conflicted about whether to stay at his current position or whether to come join the fun here.  While talking to him, I heard my mother's voice in my head:  "when in doubt, leave it out."

She first spoke those words to me when I was a teen debating about whether or not to buy a piece of clothing.  Her belief was that if you weren't in love with it from the beginning, it was never going to get any better. 

That single piece of advice has probably saved me thousands of dollars in unwarranted purchases over the years, but I think that its meaning goes way beyond wardrobes and economy.  It can apply to job offers, food decisions (if you aren't craving that cupcake, don't eat it); ethical choices, romance and just about anything you can think of.

If there isn't a compelling reason to say YES, don't.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment