Monday, July 23, 2012

#52 juxtaposition

I was at a stoplight next to a car with a door-sized "pro-life" magnet plastered on the side panel.  Inside, the driver was puffing on a cigarette with smoke swirling around her. 

It struck me that her behavior and her beliefs seemed to be contradictory -- the magnet saying that she favors life while she simultaneously acted in a manner that may put life (or at least a healthy one) at greater risk.

It made me wonder what behaviors I have in my life that are incongruent.  Believing in the environment and recycling yet buying individual bottles of pop.  Advocating for balance but still working on the weekend.  Having a diet Coke while eating a chili dog. 

I think we more frequently think about alignment in terms of organizational brands and messaging, but your personal messages need consistency too.  Are you walking your own talk?

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment