Tuesday, July 17, 2012

#46 a moment of silence

I was surprisingly affected when I learned of the passing of Stephen Covey, author of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," who died yesterday at age 79.  I never met the man, but I feel like I did. 

I first read the "7 Habits" in 1990 -- before some of my staff members were even born!  My yellowed copy is full of notes and Post-it flags and dogears. There is hardly a day that goes by when I am not quoting something he wrote in his seminal publication. 

My favorite Covey concepts:
-- Circle of Influence (focusing on what YOU can influence rather than what is your concern)
-- Quadrant 2 in the Time Management Matrix (activities that are important but not urgent, like planning, exercise, relationship building)
-- Stewardship Delegation (focusing on results and not methods)
-- Writing tickets (letting people know if you note a transgression vs. storing them up before acting)

In my opinion, Stephen Covey was way ahead of his time in his thinking about personal development lessons.  So much that is written focuses on what the leader or organization can do, but Covey's main work was 100% about the individual.  Our philosophies were very much in sync about personal responsibility being at the core of where change and growth happens.

A few weeks ago, I was at a dinner where I heard a presentation from two grade school teachers who are utilizing Covey's 7 Habits to develop character and personal responsibility in their students.  I was glad then, and am even more heartened now, to know that Covey's principles will live on.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment