Thursday, January 10, 2013

#223 alignment

A very helpful exercise to conduct with direct report staff is what I term as an alignment questionnaire.  I ask staff to complete four questions and use their answers in future conversations to gain alignment of our priorities, expectations and style.  Later I refer what evolves from our conversations for use in the evaluation process. 

The questions are as follows:

1.  How do you conceptually see your job and your role in this organization?  One way to frame this is to pretend you are presenting this to the board to explain your unit.  Another way to look at it is to acknowledge that if you could be cloned, you could keep both of "you" busy in this job.  Since there is only one of you, what parts are most important?  This can be shared through a model, story, statement, etc. -- anything to help me understand your philosophy about how you define your work. (in writing, one page maximum)

2.  A maximum of five, specific priorities for the next year.  These can be your priorities or priorities for your office, but absolutely no more than five specific items.

3.  Part of my role as your supervisor is to help you facilitate change and help you to be successful.  What do you want me to know in this respect:
-- What ideas are in the incubation stage?
-- What is your key strength as a unit/department?
-- What needs do you have (now and in the future)?
-- What challenges/barriers do you face?
-- What do you need from me?
-- What seeds do you want me to plant to support you/your work?

4.  What advice would you give me to help me be an effective supervisor for you?

Many productive conversations have been stimulated by these questions, the first one in particular.  I can recall several situations where the employee had one idea of what the job was (eg: individual ombudsperson/problem solving role) and I had another (eg: systemic changes and data sharing).  Our conversations led to alignment and employee success going forward.

Whether you do it formally or informally, I recommend that you spend the time aligning philosophy with your direct report staff.  The stars will shine more brightly if you do.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment