Friday, January 25, 2013

#238 in perpetuity

The Iowa Lottery estimated jackpot is currently $110 million.  While most who play the Powerball game won't see any winnings, let alone a change in lifestyle, someone(s) will hit on the numbers and be permanently altered by the prize.

While I will never be burdened with wondering what to do with such largess, I do have interactions with donors who have the capacity to name a building on our campus.   I always wonder what building I would want my name on if I had the opportunity to do so.  Would I lean towards a student center in honor of the part of campus that gave me my confidence and career beginnings?  Would I opt for the arts since the talent of those students I have often admired with longing?  Or would I donate in favor of a community center, museum, recreational facility or another option?

Take a moment to think about this question.  If you could have your name on a building, what building would you want that to be?  And if you had the capacity to name a building in honor of another, who would be the recipient of your generosity?  Even if we can't put our name on a check or their name on an entranceway, is there another way to show our support and gratitude?  Time is often as valuable as money; share some of yours to honor the causes or the people who mean the most.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment