Saturday, January 12, 2013

#225 one-to-one

Due to a recent staff departure, I have three new direct reports.  As we were meeting to discuss items to be addressed in the interim, I raised the question of one-on-one meetings.  They had not regularly done this in the past, but I assured them that they would while they were being supervised by me.

I am a firm believer in regular, one-on-one meetings.  I have no doubt that without them I would still be kept abreast of most things that were happening.  Email or "doorway conversations" -- where people pop in your office and let you know about a problem or ask a question -- serve to keep me in the loop for most of what is going on.

But in one-on-one meetings I have the opportunity to chat about what isn't going on -- what the long term needs are, what should be on the radar screen and what is important but not urgent.  I use my one-on-one time to do development of my staff and to really engage in planning conversations.

If you don't have regular times for your direct employees on your calendar, I would encourage you to add them.  You would be surprised at what you learn when you actually sit down and have thoughtful conversations instead of just hearing bullets of what is going on.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment