Monday, January 14, 2013

#227 Harley

I spent yesterday traveling to attend the wake of my sister-in-law's father.  I have known him for over 20 years and he felt like a part of the family to me too.

My brother was asked how they were doing. "You can't cry for 24 hours straight," he said.  "So you cry some; then you tell stories; then you laugh some; then someone else comes over and you start crying all over again."  

We all react in our own way and express our emotions at different times and in different ways.  At a funeral or as part of organizational life, acknowledge the range of emotions and let people move through the full spectrum of them.  Harley would have wanted you to laugh too.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment