Sunday, January 13, 2013

#226 extreme

As I was driving home the other night, I saw a line of cars along a normally empty frontage road.  It caught my attention as I wondered why 20 cars were in line for the stoplight when normally there are none.  The answer:  an extreme body shaping class was just letting out.

For decades, boot camps were reserved for military recruits and seen as less than desirable.  Now, ordinary men and women by the hundreds are paying large sums of money to sign on voluntarily.  It used to be that a videotape of Richard Simmons or Jane Fonda got the job done, but now many have come to need G.I. Jane to shed the pounds.  

When did it become fashionable to require extreme measures to do normal weight loss and toning?  Is going to a regular gym no longer enough?  Did the neighborhood gym become over populated with overweight, casual patrons and the "serious" gym rats had to find a new venue?

The bar keeps getting higher and higher to keep ourselves stimulated and motivated.  If the extreme body shaping works for you, I wish you great success.  And if "just" walking the dog is your exercise of choice, I hope you can take extreme satisfaction in that as well.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment