Wednesday, May 8, 2013

#341 make it doable

Time Management Week continues with Tip #3:  Create a To-Do List with Doable Items

People are guilty of putting big projects on their to-do list or bucket list, instead of breaking them down into manageable parts.  My ideal is not to have anything on the list that takes more time to accomplish than the time block I am likely to have free to accomplish the tasks. For the times I don't follow that, I find myself falling behind because I didn't make incremental gains throughout the process.  But when I do break things down, I find that I can check off some of the smaller tasks toward the big goals -- because when I look at the list to see what I can do "in the next 15 minutes before my meeting" there are tasks there that fit that interval.

Examples:
> I have always wanted to write a book, but never have.  Yet, somehow I have managed to write 341 blogs (aka: sections of a book) because I broke down the task.  Writing a book sounds too daunting to begin -- even writing a blog was pretty intimidating for a long time -- and then I put on the list to "test" my ability to publish one blog entry and here we are.

> I need to do 11 staff evaluations this year.  I could put "evaluations" on my list and never get them done.  Instead, I listed all 11 names and wrote "prep, meet, write" by each of them.  I put on the list to schedule the meetings.  To develop and send out my set of prep questions to the four different groups.  Etc. 

> "Christmas shopping" sounds daunting until I make the list and put down some ideas for everyone on it.  Then I can go to Store X and buy one thing, and while I'm on-line I can order a few more things, etc. so pretty soon the presents are ready.

> Students get stuck when writing a term paper because they put "history term paper" on the list.  Instead, it should say to: select topic, research part X, write outline, develop draft, etc.  I am convinced it is why so many doctoral students remain ABD* because "dissertation" is as ominous sounding as it comes, even though it is hundreds of small steps like a giant term paper.

> Doing taxes is another procrastination-prone activity.  But sorting receipts, reviewing deductions, setting an appointment with the accountant, contributing to an IRA -- those are all much more palatable items that are more likely to get accomplished.

Whether at home or at work, breaking down items into to doable steps is a great way to maximize your use of time.  Those 15 minute time blocks [that you identified when you did Tip #1 (-: ] can be put to good use instead of frittered away.

Give your list a once-over today and see if you can make your tasks more user-friendly.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


*All But Dissertation -- a slang reference for when doctoral students are finished with classes but have yet to complete their paper.  Instead of Ph.D. or Ed.D. people jokingly refer to the letters ABD behind their name instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment