Saturday, May 18, 2013

#351 cocoa peach

Earlier this week, I took advantage of an offer to get a free makeup consultation at the Clinique counter.  I didn't really have a need for new cosmetics, but I like to capitalize on the opportunity for a low risk experiment.

The clerk chose a color palette that I would have never, ever selected for myself.  In fact, if you look at the lipstick in the tube, I might have given a bonus sampler away without as much as putting it on.  But I really liked it on my lips!  And the eye shades look like nothing in my makeup bag, but they actually did "make my blue eyes pop."  Who knew?!

I try to make it a practice to take risks when the consequences are low.  Peter Sims calls these "little bets" in his book by the same name.  He advocates for conducting small experiments that don't detract from the core business, but allow you to gain valuable knowledge (of either what worked or what didn't) that can be used to gain more leverage down the road.

It is very easy to get in a rut.  Take advantage of opportunities to be bold and daring on little things that don't really have high stakes.  The confidence and courage you cultivate will serve you well in more meaningful situations in the future.  (And you just might look good while doing it!)

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment