Sunday, May 19, 2013

#352 a buck

Last week I read the obituary for Dave Gold.  I had never heard the name before, but rarely a weekend goes by that his work doesn't provide me a few moments of frivolous entertainment.

Gold founded the 99 Cents Only Stores which spawned numerous franchises of similar pricing strategies.  I love the dollar stores.  Where else can you go and know that you absolutely can afford anything in the store?  I can see stickers that remind me of someone and for a buck I can give them a delight.  I can mail window clings to my niece and nephew for every holiday and not go bankrupt.  I can indulge my fetish for office supplies and not feel guilty.  I can buy toys for the pups and not worry when they are shredded that day.  Life is just carefree in the dollar store aisles.

Some people are hesitant to shop there, since the freshness and origin of the goods can be somewhat questionable.  I always follow my sister's mantra:  "nothing in or on."  Meaning buy no food/beverage/consumables that go in your body, nor any lotions/cosmetics/products that go on it.  With that as my guide, I have guiltless shopping where a few bucks buys me untold treasures.

Thanks Dave Gold, for starting a trend that has become ingrained in a strip mall in every city.  You have provided me with untold ways of saying "I'm thinking about you" and given me many hours of shopping fun.  You can't put a price tag on that!

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment