Sunday, June 2, 2013

#366 vitamin D

Today is the last day of my vacation; tomorrow it's back to work.  What will I miss most?  The sunshine.  

I have spent the past week in two LEED buildings, designed to be only 60 feet wide so sunlight, which can penetrate 30 feet, can reach the entire space via both sides.  I have spent hours walking outside at a zoo and river festival.  I have eaten as many meals as possible in the fresh air.  I have written these blogs on my patio or in front of an open window with the sun shining and breeze blowing.  I have walked my dogs and watched them soak in the rays.  I think that I got more natural vitamin D last week than in the previous six months.

Unfortunately, (very unfortunately), I work in an office without windows.  I like the work I do and I like the people I do it with a lot.  Where I do it is another matter all together.  When I am there and in the groove, I don't think about it too much, but this break in the routine makes me realize how important natural light really is to me.

I don't foresee getting a new office space anytime soon, but I am committed to taking steps to infuse more light into my work day.  Lunches outdoors.  Meetings on the patio.  Doing paperwork from other locations where the natural light shines in.  Using a few more of those vacation days when sunshine is in the forecast.  

When you think about your time away, what do you savor the most?  No alarms?  Casual clothes?  New experiences?  No makeup or nylons?  Playing with the kids/pooches?  Think about what vacations bring to your life and see if there aren't elements you can get more of even when you're back in the saddle.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment