Saturday, June 22, 2013

#386 Kelly Girl

In my days of temporary office work -- before, during and just after college -- I could run a mean IBM Selectric typewriter, making it sing with flawless corrections, lined up "just so" with the little plastic tab.  Corrections were important in the pre-computer era where an imperfect change would mean retyping the whole page, so someone like me who could professionally correct had a very valuable talent.  I was good with the Selectric, so much so that it gave me comfort to know that if college didn't pan out, I would always have a career to fall back on as a secretary.

My, how things have changed.  My secretary -- oops, administrative professional -- may as well have a degree in computer programming.  Different assistants have been able to do things with Excel, Access,  Power Point, Jing and programs I have never heard of.  I find my secretarial skills about as obsolete as the revered Selectric -- good for the times, but irrelevant for today.

Do you have a skill that is like that -- it had value at one time, but is a non-factor today? Making professional typewriter corrections.  Running the ditto machine.  Utilizing a dictaphone machine.  Taking down shorthand.  Threading the microfiche machine.  Running an adding machine.  Filing in cabinets.  And those are just a few things in the office.  Think of all the obsolete skills in the greater workplace and at home.

To remain relevant, you need to be on a trajectory of continual learning.  Don't rely on your present skills to serve you in the future.  They may become as desirable as the once-coveted Selectric.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment