Tuesday, September 10, 2013

#466 before

I have owned one of my dogs for two years this week.  It seems like it has been forever!  Unless I intentionally concentrate, I forget what it was like before her or even before her one-year old sister arrived.  It seems like I have always had these two goldens in my life.

I embrace relationships with people in the same way.  It's hard for me to remember what it was like before our new CFO was part of cabinet even though she just started in January; the pre-Kelsey/Holly/Ken days even though they are relatively new on staff; or what it was like before my staff had their babies.  

Getting in this comfortable groove is, for the most part, a very good thing.  It's a sign of fit, competence and overall congruence with who people (dogs!) are and the role they play in my life.  It does remind me, however, that patterns develop very quickly.  It is important to start a relationship off right, during those precious few moments when you are actually thinking about forging a bond.  Invest some conscious thought about how you want the relationship to be before it becomes ingrained and automatic.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment