Thursday, September 12, 2013

#468 credibility conduit

I have recently been involved in several situations where people I know referred strangers to me for assistance or I made a similar referral on behalf of others.  A colleague sent a new colleague to me for advice on locating an interim enrollment manager.  I was asked to give another person I did not know a crash course in enrollment data benchmarking.  I sent a student to a former colleague for tips on how to become a consultant in higher education.  My sister has gone as far as emailing a photo to her contacts of someone with whom she wanted to connect to see if anyone could make an introduction for the relationship.  

Certainly the term "networking" is known by everyone and it is true that social media can facilitate such connections.  But what a personal touch provides is what my sister terms "credibility by association."  Because of my referral, you automatically come with legitimacy.  It is a symbol to those on the receiving end that it is worth their time to provide you with advice, assistance, inroads, etc.

Think of how you can add value to the networking chain.  Can you make appropriate referrals that assist others in their career goals or knowledge needs?  Are you willing to serve as a resource and provide information to those you may never meet?  You can garner credibility by being an effective conduit or congenial expert.  Do your part to make networking work.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com

@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment