Wednesday, September 11, 2013

#467 go inside

Over the weekend, we held an open house event at our new science building.  Countless neighbors, community members and friends of the university stopped by to see inside the new building.  I was so glad that they did.

How many times have you driven by something but never bothered to stop and look further? Our campus is near a local high school and all the time we hear: "I don't need to do a campus visit; I drive by every day."  Driving by is not the same as coming in to meet people and take a tour.  In St. Louis, the Gateway Arch ran a campaign touting "it's not the same from your car."  (And it truly isn't!)

All this is on my mind today as I reminisce about the World Trade Center.  I saw it numerous times on trips to New York, and like a good tourist, even made the trek up to the Windows on the World on the top floor.  I am glad now to have had that memory; I think it made the attacks more real to me.

Take a moment to pause today and reflect on the events of 9-11-01.  You will never have another chance to be enthralled by the towers.  Those who lost loved ones will not have a second opportunity to say what they want to say to them.  Don't live life from your car.  Get out see things first hand while you have the chance to truly experience them.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment