Wednesday, December 4, 2013

#551 part 3

A few final thoughts on the notebook system:

> I take a lot of notes, but only use about two notebooks/year with the Iquelrius books.  It is a sad day when the front and back meet each other as then it is time to start a new notebook.  I always go back through the current one and transfer to the new one items for staff/committees that are still pending and that I don't want to lose.  (My staff hates it when it's "new notebook time" as things that have been dormant are suddenly back on the discussion list!)  I also review the front section to see if there are any "to do" boxes still unchecked that need to be brought forward.  And then I carry around both notebooks for a week or so rather than recopying the notes I need from the "old" book to discuss at current meetings.

> I use the first page of the notebook to write down things I need to remember -- so I have them in one place for handy reference.  Names of new employees in other departments.  Budget numbers.  Copier code for the special copier.  This saves me time from hunting for the information…and, like everything else, I always have it with me in the office.

> It is common knowledge amongst my staff that "the notebook never lies."  It becomes a reference and decision arbitrator when there is confusion about "what did we decide" or "who was going to follow up with that".  Usually a quick glance in the notebook will resolve any of those kinds of questions!

> Having notes for several months in one place helps greatly with perspective.  I can look at budget projections and see if our trend line has been increasing or decreasing.  I can tell when items have remained on the agenda and been undone for months.  I am reminded that employees with issues also have good things that we have been discussing.  

As I said in Part 1, this is how I use the system and it works very well for me.  I know others who have modified it to put tabs for different sections/agendas instead of using it back to front.  Others pay attention to the colored border on the pages of the Iquelrius.  

However you make the system yours, I hope you try some version of it.  Collaboration and communication are so important to every organization and I know of no better way to keep track of the information that fosters both.


-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment