Thursday, December 19, 2013

#566 farm team

In yesterday's blog, I shared the roles that Harvard Business Review outlined for leaders. One that I think is often overlooked, but of critical importance is the role of talent scout.  I would add to that "talent developer" as it is rare that someone shows up at an interview with all the skills I need.

Part of my role as talent developer is being aware of the strengths of my staff (and other staff!) and then giving them personal encouragement to apply for different positions when a job comes open.  Currently there are several employees who used to work for me who are now working in elsewhere at the university, either for me in different roles or in another division entirely.  It is something that makes me quite proud.

In your role as leader, what are you doing to help your staff not only develop skills for their current role, but to prepare them for whatever comes next?  Are you conscious about matching strengths with openings -- even if it means moving one of your staff elsewhere to do it?  

You are only as good as the people who work for you.  Take a lesson from baseball and develop an on-going farm system to create and attract new talent to your organization.  

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment