Monday, December 16, 2013

#563 discount

As I was finishing up my Christmas shopping over the weekend, I carried with me the multitudes of store coupons that I have received via newspaper, mail, on my phone, etc.  It seems that every place is running a special -- if you are patient enough to deal with the coupon hassle to receive it. 

At Younkers (a Bon Ton affiliate), they have more exclusions than inclusions for where the coupon actually works.  No Incredible Value items, cosmetics, premium brands, etc.  In short, it didn't work on anything that I wanted to buy.  Ditto at JCPenney where the brand I chose was part of the "exceptions."  

I tried using a coupon at Michaels, but I was at the wrong hour -- this coupon only worked on Sunday afternoon.  I felt bad for the clerk because I was obviously not the first person unamused by this detail.

And then there is Kohls.  Maybe I have simplicity on my brain because of the Ken Segall book I am reading on that subject, but they have coupons down pat.  I got 30% off of everything.  Every brand (even their Hallmark lines), every department, every item.  One coupon that works from now until December 24 (when I am sure I will receive my next discount.)  Kohls makes coupons an integral part of their overall simplified shopping strategy and it is clearly working for them.

Don't discount the importance of customer satisfaction around the little things.  It's a mistake to play around with your pricing policies just because everyone is doing it.  Even with something so mundane as store coupons, you can enchant your customers or frustrate them.  Guess where I'll shop next time.


-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com

@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment