Saturday, December 21, 2013

#568 new and improved

As most people know, I have two lovable golden retrievers.  While I am certainly not looking to add to my family, I have an irresistible urge to regularly read the pet section of the classified ads.  

What I have noticed is that there is rarely an advertisement for golden retriever puppies anymore.  Instead, the paper has several offerings of Goldendoodle pups -- in cream, black or even apricot.  Apparently this "no-shed, no-allergy" hybrid warrants a premium price as they sell for $700-$1500 and up for one little pooch.

I have a friend that has two adorable Goldendoodles.  They are great dogs and wonderful pets -- yet they are not anything close to a no-shed golden retriever.  The Goldendoodle is an entirely different animal, engineered through DNA cross-breeding.

At what point to we accept things as they are -- shedding hair and all -- or when is it desirable to alter the natural state of things to create something new?  I wonder where the line is drawn or how to know the difference.

With decisions, patience or even the breed of dogs, I am reminded of the Serenity Prayer:  God grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

May you be graced with wisdom today.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment