Monday, December 23, 2013

#570 taste tested

Those of you who know me know that I don't cook, so it was most unusual for me to be attracted to a "Holiday Baking" display at the local grocery.  But my eye was drawn to the packages of Hershey's Cinnamon chips (like chocolate chips only cinnamon flavor instead).  I could smell them through the package, and was hooked.

So in a rare display of cooking bravery (for me), I purchased not only the chips, but all the ingredients to make the recipe that was listed on the package.  There was no special occasion where I needed to bring a dish and I was trying an untested recipe -- neither happens with any regularity at my house!

It turns out that the Oatmeal Cinnamon bars are delicious.  Divine.  Addictive.  Fabulous.  I shared them with a friend, and sent some along with him to take to other friends and got a call for the recipe.  I have already made a second batch to share with my family -- and I hope they make it there without being eaten first.

While this recipe was new to me, I am sure that the fine cooks at Hershey's Kitchens taste-tested and tried hundreds of recipes before they selected the one to highlight.  In reality, the risk was very low, so it shouldn't be a surprise that the reward was high.

You can model this kind of behavior in your organization by trying new things that others have essentially pre-tested for you.  Utilize a software program in a way that others have used.  Try out an agency that comes with a trusted recommendation.  Hire a service that has done work in your industry.  

There are many ways to let others do the trial and error that minimize the risk you need to take.  Sometimes it works to trust the recipe on the package.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Oatmeal Cinnamon Bars
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 package Hershey's Cinnamon Chips
3/4 cup raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in bowl until creamy.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
Combine flour and baking soda; add to butter mixture, beating well.
Stir in oats, cinnamon chips and raisins.

Spread batter into lightly greased 13x9x2 baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool; cut into bars.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment