Friday, January 3, 2014

#581 the weakest link

Earlier this week, we had a rare day when the temperature rose above freezing.  I took advantage of the opportunity to have my car washed without fear of the doors icing shut.  I was not the only one with this brilliant plan!

The car wash was packed, with lines snaking halfway around the building.  The owners had obviously anticipated such a rush, and they had extra staff to help the line move quickly.  Even though the number in line was doubled, I don't think I waited much more than I usually do…

…until I went inside to pay.  They were literally cleaning and drying the cars faster than the cashier could ring up the bills.  This caused a big problem as cars were ready before the owners were and it created a subsequent backlog for other cars to come in.

I am sure in the planning, all the attention was placed on having the staff to clean the cars, and no one thought through the implications for the cashier.  The clerk did not have a direct impact on the car wash process, but clearly her role was essential to the overall operation.

Take a lesson from the car wash.  Don't overlook the "minor" players whose work has the ability to put a kink in your whole system.  Those who provide infrastructure and support are just as vital to success as those who are front line in service delivery.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment