Tuesday, January 21, 2014

#599 duped

A few weeks ago, Menards, our regional hardware chain, ran a store-wide sale offering an 11% discount.  I went and bought a few things because of the sale.

The next week, the sale was "extended" -- obviously planned in advance given the advertising and print support of the offer.  I was lured to the store yet again.  I even made a special trip on the last night of the sale so a friend could purchase a large gift card (also discounted).

When the sale was extended once again for week #3, I shook my head.  

But today, I feel like I have been had.  Instead of an extension for week #4, now Menards is offering a 14% discount on everything.  Grr.  After all the purchases and all the hype over the 11% extravaganza, they increase the deal.  Instead of rewarding the customers who came to one of the first three sales, now they are giving the best deal to the latecomers.

Does your organization have practices that actually dis-incentivize those whom you are trying to please?  Think about your perks or special offers and take care that in the quest to get "more" participants you don't irritate those who respond to your initial invitation.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment