Saturday, February 8, 2014

#617 frame of reference

Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life and pastor of the Saddleback mega-church, recently went suffered a personal tragedy in his family.  When he was asked how he could remain thankful to God, he replied: "God doesn't expect me to be thankful FOR all circumstance, but IN all circumstances.  There's a huge difference."

I think you can expand this concept beyond the religious sentiment and apply the meaning in other settings.

> My staff doesn't need to be excited FOR the need to work a scholarship event today and tomorrow, but they do need to be excited IN the execution of the event when they are there.

> My boss doesn't expect me to be grateful FOR all circumstance, but IN all circumstances (overall).  I don't need to come to work giddy every day or happy about some of the problems that I encounter, but I need to have a fundamental appreciation that I am employed at this place.  

We often find ourselves in situations that are less than ideal.  Keep Pastor Warren's thought in mind and realize that we can be thankful for the totality of our experiences, even if we grieve over aspects of our reality.

--- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

Briefing -- Rick Warren,  Time magazine, December 9, 2013, p. 21


No comments:

Post a Comment