Wednesday, February 19, 2014

#628 fever pitch

Amazingly, the phone/Internet repair man came yesterday as scheduled, didn't require me to be there for him, fixed the problem and there was no charge!  I should have purchased a lottery ticket because it is rare that those kind of stars align, especially with service calls.

But even more surprising than my pleasant experience was his explanation for what happened.  Apparently the technician has been doing a lot of repair work lately caused by destructive dogs -- resulting from a high pitch sound that has been emitting from the phone box.  We can't hear it, but apparently Fidos throughout the area can and it's making them crazy.  (Maybe there is hope that I have lived through puppyhood!)

I wonder if there is an equivalent of a high pitched sound in my environment at work.  Is something going on that my employees can sense that I don't even know about?  Am I blaming them for unproductive behavior when they are just acting in ways that are consistent with being driven crazy?  Am I oblivious to an on-going issue that is going to blow up one day and result in a metaphorical chewed wire?

People can talk, whereas dogs can't.  Utilize that to your advantage and ask questions about culture, climate and the environment in general.  If you wait until you need a 'repair call', the fix may not be as easy as mine was.

--- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment