Wednesday, February 12, 2014

#621 being there

The good news: I was selected as one of 20 people to participate in a year-long, national professional development program.  The "executive leadership academy" involves mentoring, hands-on experiences and two in-person seminars.  The bad news:  one of those mandatory gatherings falls during two days of our summer registration in 2015.

Our summer programs are a really big deal for us.  They are the culminating events in a whole series of enrollment activities, and it's our last chance to make students and parents feel confident about their decision to attend college here.  I have played a substantial role in these programs and so I had a lot of angst about whether I should miss them next year.

So I asked my staff.  I received an enthusiastic "go to the program!"  I asked my boss and got the same response.  (Is it a good thing or bad that I am apparently quite dispensable?!) I sent in the confirmation.

To be clear, I have absolutely no doubt that my staff can do the job effectively.  I am not needed to do.  I wonder though about the intangible impact of my non-attendance.  I feel like it is important to be there.

I heard it described beautifully yesterday by our director of campus ministry. She talked about the importance of the "ministry of presence"; that by being present for students, we enhance their experience and help them grow.  Sometimes I don't do anything at events or when working late, but by being there it helps others know they are supported and valued.  I think it was the loss of presence I was lamenting, rather than worrying about any function I performed.   My reflection about whether I should attend has proved this to be an insightful experience already.  

Your impact is far greater than your tasks.  Don't forget to account for your 'ministry of presence' as part of the contribution you are making to your organization.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment