Thursday, February 13, 2014

#622 microscope

I have been fascinated lately with how much people pay attention to details about me.  In the last two weeks, people have commented that I am wearing a new bracelet, that I got a new pen, that I am wearing a Fitbit and that I wore boots under my jeans.  From my perspective, all of these things were understated and didn't warrant a comment as something like wearing a new outfit does.  These were things I would have likely not even noticed about others.

It gives me pause and causes me to extrapolate that if people notice what I write with, they probably are paying attention to how I act.  My integrity, manners, commentary, analysis and participation are probably on the radar screen.  People are watching even when I don't think they are.

This phenomenon calls to mind a line from educator David Ambler in his Guidelines for Working with Students:  "Never underestimate the power of your influence on a student.  Your conduct and conversation are what you are -- a model for others."  I think you can take out the word "student" and substitute "people" and have the same meaning.

It will serve you well to pay as much attention to how you carry yourself as you pay to what you carry your things in.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment