Tuesday, September 11, 2012

#102 remember

A friend of mine was recently talking to a history major (from the "purple school", I need to add!) who did not know what started America's involvement in World War II.  I wonder if someday the tragic events of September 11 will be forgotten as easily as this man forgot Pearl Harbor.  Let us hope not.

It is hard for me to believe that 9/11 was 11 years ago; I remember many of the events like it was just last year.  My boss at the time was out of reach on a remote fly fishing trip, and he commented later that he missed the raw emotion of the event.  He was not with other sobbing people at make-shift vigils; he didn't spend the good part of the week glued to television sets watching the evil deeds over and over and over; he didn't know the eerie silence of no planes overhead.  I am glad that I was not immune to experiencing this important part of our nation's history.

I put a flag in my living room window right after the tragedy, and that declaration of pride remained there until I moved seven years later.  I remember the first time I tore myself away from the television to venture into the commercial world; the craft store was handing out free red/white/blue ribbons that I wore for months.  My radio station still plays the Star Spangled Banner every morning at 5:30am, 11 years after it started the tradition on that fateful day.

The positive side of 9/11 was the incredible surge of patriotism that it inspired in many Americans.  I hope that you use today to remind yourself of that spirit, and to stop the partisanship that has embattled our country almost ever since.  Take a moment to reflect today and pledge to become a patriot again.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment