Thursday, September 27, 2012

#118 energy efficient

I'm a morning person.  Always have been, too.  Even in college I would be the one who got up at 4 a.m. to study before the test instead of staying up until 4 a.m. pulling the proverbial all-nighter.  Once the sun goes down, I am like a bear wanting to hibernate.

What is your best time of day?  Hopefully you can answer instantaneously -- you're aware of your peak functioning and you schedule around it.  If not, I encourage you to pay close attention for a week or so and undoubtedly a pattern will emerge.

One of my "rules" of time management is to Acknowledge Your Energy Level.  If you are dragging and mentally drained -- no matter what time of day that is -- try really hard not to have to do your more demanding tasks at that time.  It will just be counterproductive.  If you are wiped out after a rough morning, don't do your serious thinking that afternoon.  There are always low demand tasks that need to be done; paying attention to your energy level will signal when it is most effective for you to do them.  And the converse is true -- if you're at your best in the morning like me, then it is worthwhile to head to the office an hour early and do the paperwork and serious tasks with full energy and uninterrupted time.  Others are much better off staying late or even working from home after the kids have gone to bed.

By establishing your natural preference and building a routine to maximize it, as well as making interim adjustments based upon the tasks and energy of the day, I believe that you will be able to accomplish more in empirically less time.  I rarely do paperwork at home or in the office on weekends because I have learned how to capitalize on my time in the office vs. just being present there.

You've got a natural rhythm.  Listen to what it is telling you.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment