Thursday, September 13, 2012

#104 #traditions

Yesterday was our university's convocation -- the ceremonial start of an academic year.  The faculty wear regalia and walk in procession; the new students are awarded a symbolic tassel to remind them of their goals, and last year's professor of the year gives an inspiring address.

Many schools do a similar event, but what sets ours apart is the tree planting ceremony that follows.  For 106 years, each incoming class has planted a tree and each senior class has named their tree. The trees are christened with names that reflect their times; last year was "Whomping Willow" in reference to Harry Potter; in 2010 it was the UniversiTREE to commemorate our transition from college to university. 

Today, the oak was named "Hash Tag Tree" by the class of 2013.  Another sign that the times they are a 'changin.  I have never once in my life called the # symbol a hash tag.  It is the pound sign (as per instructions of what to press on all the phone surveys) or a number sign (as in this is blog #104).  What the heck does hash tag mean?

I immediately left the ceremony and got a crash course in Twitter from one of my many staff members who is young enough to be my child.  He was patient and helpful, and when I left his dual-screen computer that allowed us to post and view his Twitter feeds, I felt like I "got it".  Right after that I was at a senior leadership meeting where the same topic came up, and ironically I became the one explaining what a hash tag was.  (Don't tell them I am a fraud!)

I was struck by the ironic twist that a 106-year old tradition was infused with a piece of modern culture that was so new (to me) that it needed an explanation.  I thought it was a great model of how to do what Jim Collins and Jerry Porras advocated in Built to Last: preserve the core (tree planting) and stimulate progress (#Tree).  We need to create more environments where we can honor the past and still allow for enhancements to occur.  Think about that intersection in your organization -- how can you celebrate a tradition in a way that speaks to today?

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment