Monday, September 24, 2012

#115 freedom

About a block from my house is a park-in-progress; right now it is a road leading up to an undeveloped giant field.  I am sure when the park is "open" one of the first permanent fixtures there will be a "No Dogs Allowed" sign (as is the case in all the other parks), but for now my fine city doesn't officially mind that I bring the pooches there.

So I did.  And, oops, I happened to have dropped the leashes.  I wish that you could experience even for a moment the unabashed glee that these two dogs had being totally free to run.  And I do mean RUN.  They were furry bullets whizzing by, making gargantuan circles.  The sound made me feel as if I was at a horse track as they raced past me.  It was the rush of adrenaline from true freedom. The whole romp lasted five minutes or so, but I am sure that it was the highlight of their weekend.  

I understand the need for parameters, boundaries and rules.  I get that we need to create "fences" of protocol for our employees to operate within.  But I also wonder if we wouldn't be better off if we let go of the leashes once in awhile. 

Some companies do this with "skunkworks" or allowing their staff to have projects of their choosing for a small percent of their time.  Others allow flex schedules or free reign on dress codes.  Others just let employees take that risk and do something as seemingly crazy as running sans leash.  However you do it, a little freedom is a good thing.  Try to let go every once in awhile and see what happens without the fences.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment