Tuesday, September 25, 2012

#116 it works for me

The pace of work has been a bit hectic lately, so I rely more and more on my written to-do list to keep track of the details.  My to-do list actually is several lists, and has evolved into a system that works for me.  Perhaps you can adopt some elements to work for you:

1) the main list -- written on a small index card and kept at-the-ready of all things that I need to do today.  I try to avoid any small pieces of paper; if I need to do something (return a call, deliver something to someone or work on a major task) -- if I am to do it today it makes the list.

2) a do later list -- actually a separate place where I keep track of all the things that I need to do later (ie: not today). It helps me to have them written down so I don't forget them.  Once each day I look at this list to see what needs to migrate to the Today list, but otherwise it doesn't divert my focus.

3) a pending list.  This for me has been one of the key elements to my organizational success.  So many times people do one step in a process and cross the item off the list, even though it is not truly complete.  (Examples:  something is ordered, but not yet here.  Someone else is asked to provide information, and even has agreed to do so, but has not yet given it to you.)  This is a place where I can write the things where the ball is not currently in my court, but where the accountability remains.  If the person/company does not follow through, it will be back on my to-do list as an action item later.  I don't want it on my list now since the action is "pending" and there is nothing I can do at the moment, but I don't want it off my radar screen either.

4) a do-at-home list -- which is a 5x7 index card folded in half that I keep in my purse.  One half lists all the things to do at home (eg: wrap birthday present, winterize garden, iron) and the other side tracks all the errands I have to run outside the home (eg: buy dog food, deposit check, buy birthday card).  When I am out I can easily glance at the list and see if there are things I need to do without making another trip.

Keeping track of all the tasks in your home and organizational life is no small chore.  But it's worth the time and attention to develop a system that facilitates your productivity and preserves your sanity.  Five minutes a day spent floundering = 30 hours/year in lost time!  Think of the other wonderful things you could do with that gift.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment