Sunday, September 30, 2012

#121 civil engineering

My personal mission statement could be the same as the American Society of Civil Engineers:  "[We] conceive, design and build the infrastructure that supports our community and its economic prosperity."

I hope that my work accomplishes what the ASCE purports as their mantra, and I think that we would be better off if most people routinely took two of its main elements to heart:

1.  "and build"  I like the concept of not just coming up with the idea, but delivering on it.  This isn't a lofty thinking exercise; ASCE gets things done.  Execution is important to them, and to me.

2.  "supports our community"  The work isn't about individual gain or internal purposes;  this phrase advocates thinking about the impact on others and how you can help. 

If you build in ways that support your community, we would all prosper.  Building bridges of civility.  Building partnerships and networks.  Building alliances and friendships.  Building physical buildings and tangible programs that foster economic health.

Who knew that civil engineers had so much to teach us, but I believe that they do.  Engineering civil societies is a great goal for all of us.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment