Tuesday, July 1, 2014

#760 my cup runneth over

Last Thursday, one of my employees came in and handed me a letter "from" the U.S. Men's National Soccer Team coach, asking me to excuse the employee from work to support that day's World Cup soccer game.  I asked my employee for a copy, and he assured me that I would soon be receiving several more copies of it -- each from a different staff member!

You can read a copy of the brilliant idea here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/austinhunt/us-soccer-coach-wrote-an-excuse-note-for-you-to-miss-work

We compromised and I agreed to let the staff have an extra long lunch break -- this before I knew Governor Cuomo gave one to every New York state employee!  I considered it a healthy dose of team-building if not pure patriotism.  But with another round today, we have mutually agreed that even Coach Klinsmann would expect people to take vacation time (or a late lunch) for the 3pm match.  

I do not remember the World Cup soccer craze in previous years.  Now there are watch parties everywhere, including an impromptu one with prospective student parents at the end of one of our registration days.  I have seen charts tracking the progress of the many teams and brackets.  The World Cup seems to be the topic de jour.  People are wearing soccer jerseys, waving the flag of their heritage nation and addictively watching their smart phone through meals.

I feel like the minority that I am not engrossed in the festivities, but I welcome it as a camaraderie-building tool.  If it creates a common experience for staff (and communities), I am all in favor of supporting it and nurturing the new infatuation with the game.  

Whether it is the World Cup, a local sport or any other spirit-inducing occasion, as a leader you would be well served to let your team wave the flag.  You'll benefit later as the group redirects that passion towards your organization.

-- beth triplett
leadershipdots.blogspot.com
@leadershipdots
leadershipdots@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment